V6 Fuel Consumption exaggerated... something broken? + 2.0L R4 fuel consumption

and_pir

Aktiv-Mitglied
Hello.
I see that my V6 (tiptronic, not 4motion! bought in oct 2015) used mosltly in highway, has a very high fuel consumption, like 8km/l.
I don't understand that because the engine runs normal, I don't have lights on into the cockpit, and he VAS computer at my vw shop says everything is fine.
I wanted to test it with the tempomat on flat land highway, constant speed in and the computers says:
@ 90km/h = 7,2-7,4L/100km
@100km/h = 10,5-10,8L/100km
@110km/h = 12L/100km
Now, since it's declared that the fuel consmpion in "außerorts" is 9,9L/100km:

Volkswagen T5 Multivan Highline,AHK,Xenon,Klimaauto,8-fach als Van/Kleinbus in Donauwörth

or

Volkswagen T5 Multivan Highline 2.Hd/SSD/AHK/S-Heft/PDC als Van/Kleinbus in Stockelsdorf

Verbrauch

Info
Bei den angegebenen Daten handelt es sich um Circa-Angaben des Angebot-Erstellers. Die Werte können Erfahrungen zu diesem Modell darstellen oder aus anderen Quellen stammen.
≈ 12,9 l/100km (kombiniert)
≈ 18,2 l/100km (innerorts)
≈ 9,9 l/100km (außerorts)

we are pretty far away from that, also because the "außerorts" speed is 120km/h, and the fuel cons. gets crazy at that speed!
Is the declared fuel cons. a "fake new" or my engine is broken?

And what would be the fuel cons. of a 2.0L R4 then?

Volkswagen Multivan Startline als Van/Kleinbus in Hamburg

Verbrauch

Info
Bei den angegebenen Daten handelt es sich um Circa-Angaben des Angebot-Erstellers. Die Werte können Erfahrungen zu diesem Modell darstellen oder aus anderen Quellen stammen.
≈ 10,4 l/100km (kombiniert)
≈ 13,6 l/100km (innerorts)
≈ 8,6 l/100km (außerorts)

Admitting that the declared values are true; 8,6L is not very less than 9,9L in you think that it is 1,2L smaller...

Thank you guys.

No, that is normal.

The "Außerorts" numbers apply to the NEFZ cycle. In that cycle the max. speed for just a few seconds is 110 km/h. Most of the cycle is done at around 70-80 km/h. Therefore that is about the minimum fuel consumption that is possible at all.

The T5 has got a huge front face, therefore every single km/h above 100 really hurts. In addition to that the V6 engine is a gas guzzler.

Even with a Diesel engine constantly driving 130 km/h will lead to a fuel consumption of around 10l/100km.

Marcus

Hi,

...the consumption of a 2.0L R4 TSI is rarely about 2L/100 km lesser then the V6.

Thats unfair... :'( my old t4 vr6 did 12km/l at 110/120km

Hard to believe. Even a Golf III VR6 needed about the same back in the 90s.

The front face of the car is the main problem. The rest is physics.

Marcus

Maybe the remembrances are always better than reality.
However, it used to rev at 2300 @ 120km/h. This one revs 2900...
But what I wanted to understand was reliability of the declared datas. Now I know that to judge I must to test a car with computer.

Got to set up another camper, that doesn't need so many PS. I was considering the T5 with the E2 like engine, the R4 2.0L 116ps, so now I know I havet take a test drive.
But if the difference in fuel consumption is small, I would go for another vr6 aut.
The diesel? Kein thema: too expensive in maintenance, small number of kms per year + the Euro5 skandal...
... and that sound... xP

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Thx guys...
Thats unfair... :'( my old t4 vr6 did 12km/l at 110/120km
@Bulli-Paul : I was about the 2.0 aspirated, less than 120ps

I was talking about the 204 PS TSI 2.0L

Based on my 2006er T5 3,2 V6 4Motion I had a long term average consumption around 13,x L/100 km.

So if you are about 13-15 L/100 km (depends on the mix of usage), you should be fine.

390.000 km - average = 12,8 l / 100 km

@Helge235

the v6:
dauertrinker.gif~c200

Me: ;(

Let's get consolation thinking that at least it's a "clean and green" engine, not like diesels. And that sound...

Does your total mileage mean that I have again 200.000km to run? I'm 183.000km only.
Your mileage is a diesel engine mileage... and only the best diesels can do that.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I reached 535.000 with still the first equipment... had to change part of the exhaust system for the last German TÜV... thats all.
Because I handle the car more relaxed and careful than in the beginning, the av. consumption of Super+ could be reduced to 12,4 / 100km.

Touch on wood!!!

Holy M-F.! 😮
Gratulation, so many KMs... I mean, like a semi truck.
Have you ever changed the timing chain and tensioners? Cause I'm thinking to change them, since it's a well known weak point of all the VR6.

Zurück
Oben