2.0 benzin AXA - opinions?

and_pir

Aktiv-Mitglied
Hello!
Well, my friend got rid of the 2.5 "super-TDI" that, in a few months, would have become not usable anymore as daily driver because of the drive ban.
Now he is interested into a 2.0b AXA but its size looks so tiny... it's not about the power output, that is like the T4 2.5; it's about the torque which is at the same of a low level golf/passat.
I'm not looking for some absurd and pointless reassurances about the AXA being like a 174 TDI, it's clear that it will never be even far similar... but I'd like to know from the people who drive or had driven a 2.0: how those vans drive? Are they real dogs as they seems?

Here we don't have T5 2.0 so I can't test one without coming to germany...
Otherwise is there another alternative to get a "ecologic" (yeah, sure,... :\ ) engine? (excluding the tsi because it is EA888, and the vr6)
THX

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hallo,

We own a 2008 Transporter in a rather standard 5 seat configuration with AXA engine. When we bought it in summer last year, I explicitely had been searching for a T5 with gasoline engine due to concerns on the Diesel's future perspective. Finally we bought the car with just 42 tsd. Km (had been in rare use by a public service before). Now 8 tsd km later (mainly country roads and Highways at 130 - 140 km/h) we like the car and the smooth way of driving. It is of cause no "burner" but a smooth and rather quiet cruiser. We are located in the rather flat landscape of northern Germany and here it is working fine. The gearbox ratios mean that you are driving at 4000 rpm at 140 km/h, but with still low noise. The fuel consumption hast been 10 litres/100km so far.

Hopefully this helps a bit and have a nice Sunday!

Thank you Calypsohwk for your answer.
Yeah, probably that will be the way, the only one to sleep well. The 2.0 TSI is pure garbage as it destroys itself by just functioning (thank you AUDI for the typ EA888! 😡), so the only option left to us, is the AXA.
However we live in a place near the mountains so it's a solution that will bring some renounces. I have thought to make some stealth mods to the engine in order to get some nm more, like head machinering followed by chiptuning, but it will end up on a definitive increase of gasoline fuel consumption, and if you go over 10L it's almost pointless to not to get a VR6. The mine burns between the 12 and 13L (mostly highway) and getting more nm from the AXA by that mod could bring up the fuel consumption near to such a level; and there is no come back without another stock specs head.
Sadly in mechanical physics there's not such thing like a "free cup of rice" ☹

The fuel consumption hast been 10 litres/100km so far.

Hello again calypsohwk; at this point we are seriusly going for the 2.0 AXA.
Sadly the silver van I found was gone after just 2 days I found it (From HEARSE to Multivan), but I'm sure will I will find more after that the lockdown will be over.
But before I would like to be sure about the fuel consumption so I have to ask you a favour: could you please kindly tell me the effective fuel consumption at specific speeds?
I need to know the liters consumed in 5th gear driving over a flat highway at regoular speeds of:
80km/h
90km/h
100km/h
110km/h
120km/h
I'm talking about the values measured by the van's computer, that shows the fuel consumption in the instant (I'm not talking about the average fuel consumption).
I know that this is a kind of nuisance but it's for my friend's peace of heart, especially after that I found the prins list in wich the axa is included as a no-no (coz of valves' wearing).

It would be better if you have the tempomat activated, if the van has it, in order to get a regoular gait.

Thank you in advance from both of us.

Hello,

my van isn't equipped with a computer, therefore I can't supply the desired measurements.

Best regards and have a nice weekend!

Zurück
Oben